from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Music With emphasis and spirit. Used chiefly as a direction.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tempo mark directing that a passage is to be played with emphasis, spirit, vigour or energy
- n. A passage having this mark
- adv. played in this style
- adj. describing a passage having this mark
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- Vigorous; energetic; with energy; -- a direction to perform a passage with energy and force.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In music, with energy.
Italian, from Medieval Latin vigōrōsus, from Latin vigor, vigor; see vigor.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)