from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Music With emphasis and spirit. Used chiefly as a direction.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tempo mark directing that a passage is to be played with emphasis, spirit, vigour or energy
- n. A passage having this mark
- adv. played in this style
- adj. describing a passage having this mark
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- Vigorous; energetic; with energy; -- a direction to perform a passage with energy and force.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In music, with energy.
An appalling scheme of self-amusement is seen in his "Caprice," in which a theme of eight measures 'length is instrumented with almost every contrapuntal device known, and with psychological variety that runs through five movements, scherzando, vigoroso, con sentimento, religioso, and a marcia fantastico.
Contemporary American Composers Being a Study of the Music of This Country, Its Present Conditions and Its Future, with Critical Estimates and Biographies of the Principal Living Composers; and an Abundance of Portraits, Fac-simile Musical Autographs, and Compositions
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.