from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various deciduous shrubs of the genus Weigela of Asia, especially W. florida, widely cultivated for its pink, white, or red flowers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any plant of the genus Weigela.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A hardy garden shrub (Diervilla Japonica) belonging to the Honeysuckle family, with white or red flowers. It was introduced from China.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as Weigelia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. deciduous shrub widely cultivated for its white or pink or red flowers
The front of the bed could be edged with pulmonaria if the location has filtered sun, backed by several very compact, dwarf weigela, which have maroon foliage.
The dark-leafed weigela bushes are coated with mauve flowers, the peonies are spewing their amazing perfume, pink petals weigh down the 10-foot-tall beauty bush by the fence and the bearded irises with their unreal purple and blue blooms seem like visitors from another world.
After that, I attacked a weigela bush that had a dense thicket of overlapping interior stems and a viburnum whose lower branches awkwardly brushed the ground.
The house was a vast 1950s waterfall brick affair hanging off a hill and it was overgrown with the kinds of shrubs that everyone had in the 1950s; weigela, hibiscus, plumbago.
Foster had been recalcitrant, pointing out that the forsythia would have to go and the weigela, and them there lilacs, but Gwenda had been adamant, and he was now almost enthusiastic about his task.
The weigela, forsythia, and spiraea are also excellent shrubs.
Then, crouching low, he ran from bush to bush and took his stand in front of a weigela bush that screened him from being seen by his family.
This is true of most fruit-trees, and such shrubs as lilac, forsythia, tree peony, wistaria, some spireas and viburnums, weigela, deutzia.
• Reblooming weigela Sonic Bloom Pink grows to a manageable 5 feet tall and blooms from May until frost.
For shrubs that bloom in early spring, like lilac (Syringa spp.), forsythia (Forsythia x intermedia) and weigela (Weigela florida), prune immediately after the blooms fade or you'll remove next year's flower buds.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.