Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An imaginary animal whose nature and features are purposely left undefined. Compare gyascutus and snark.
- n. In poker, a round of jack-pots, usually played after a certain hand is shown, such as four of a kind.
- n. A whimsical monster in folklore and children's fiction; a bugbear.
- n. obsolete Term of disparagement
- n. poker A ruling in which the opening stake limits are doubled for the next play after the appearance of a very good hand.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Slang An imaginary creature, of undefined character.
- Of American origin circa 1856. Popularized by appearing in a sermon parody attributed to William P. Brannan as "Where the lion roareth and the whangdoodle mourneth for her first-born," published in The Harp of a Thousand Strings: Or, Laughter for a Lifetime (1858). (Wiktionary)
“And unmerciful was he in his scathing denunciation of the "whangdoodle" preacher who, by the cadence of a tuneful voice, strove to produce such demonstrations.”
“A chaplain of one of the disorganized regiments was haranguing the mob in what may be termed the whangdoodle style: "Rally, men; rally, and we may yet be saved.”
“They have planted him deep in a grave by the fence, where the sand burs are thick and the jimson is dense; he's sleeping at last, and as still as a mouse, held down by a boulder as big as a house, and the whangdoodle mourns in a neighboring tree, with a voice that's as sad as the sorrowing sea.”
“He was written of as the man whom Douglas had beaten two years before, and without other distinction; as lacking in culture, in every way inferior to Seward; as a whangdoodle stump speaker of the second class, and without any known principle.”
“Mr. Okada has been solemnly assured that, in dealing with certain white men, they will insist upon an eye for an optic and a tusk for a tooth; he knows that if he starts anything further he will go straight to that undiscovered country where the woodbine twineth and the whangdoodle mourneth for its mate. ”
“She's got on La Gonizetti's dress, and her voice has the show - girl's clangy-tin-panny-whangdoodle, but that's all _I_ recognize. ”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘whangdoodle’.
May you be (a) . . . .
but only the ones with adorable names
A not-so-secret cache of wonderfilled words; may be mythical, magical, philosophical, oddball or just plain cool
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
thunderfuck, incredible, merp, sara, flopparoo, smother, fugly, buer, plum, canny, nefelibata, cuntbucket and 2455 more...
just the next words that come along
Oddments culled from my "main" lists that belong in a display cabinet of their own, plus sundry other curiosities. :-)
. . . apologetic statesmen of a compromising kind,
Such as--What d'ye call him--Thing'em-bob, and likewise--Never-mind,
and 'St--'st--'st--and What's-his-name, and also You-know-who-- <...
Looking for tweets for whangdoodle.