from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A whimsical monster in folklore and children's fiction; a bugbear.
- n. Term of disparagement
- n. A ruling in which the opening stake limits are doubled for the next play after the appearance of a very good hand.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An imaginary creature, of undefined character.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An imaginary animal whose nature and features are purposely left undefined. Compare gyascutus and snark.
- n. In poker, a round of jack-pots, usually played after a certain hand is shown, such as four of a kind.
Of American origin circa 1856. Popularized by appearing in a sermon parody attributed to William P. Brannan as "Where the lion roareth and the whangdoodle mourneth for her first-born," published in The Harp of a Thousand Strings: Or, Laughter for a Lifetime (1858). (Wiktionary)