American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as whiffle tree.
- n. a wooden crossbar for a plough or carriage, pivoted in the middle, from which traces are fastened to a draught animal
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The pivoted or swinging bar to which the traces, or tugs, of a harness are fastened, and by which a carriage, a plow, or other implement or vehicle, is drawn; a whiffletree; a swingletree; a singletree. See Singletree.
- n. (Bot.) The cornel tree.
- n. a crossbar that is attached to the traces of a draft horse and to the vehicle or implement that the horse is pulling
- Perhaps blend of dialectal whippin, whippletree and swingletree. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
These user-created lists contain the word ‘whippletree’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
I'm always entertained by the terms @immerito tweets using the hashtag #termsfromtoday. As best I can tell, the tag emerged in mid 2011 after a brief flirtation with an alternate hashtag form. You'...
Words and concepts I learned on Wordie, or happened upon as I roamed through dictionaries and websites seeking ammunition.
Words I've come across while reading and looked up in the dictionary.
By Oliver Wendell Holmes (sr.?). Thanks to slumry for pointing out the link (a long time ago) to this.
Have you heard of the wonderful one-hoss shay,
That was built in such a log...
Looking for tweets for whippletree.