from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An inclined or vertical shaft or passage between levels in a mine.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A steep shaft in a mine which joins two levels.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small shaft sunk from one level to another, as for the purpose of ventilation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In mining, a vertical or inclined excavation which is like a shaft except that it does not rise to the surface.
- n. A curse or imprecation.
- n. A corrupt form of winch.
Alteration of obsolete winds, probably from wind2, apparatus for winding.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Alteration of winds, 1757, plural of wind. (Wiktionary)