American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of several deciduous shrubs or small trees of the genus Hamamelis, especially H. virginiana, of eastern North America, having yellow flowers that bloom in late autumn or winter.
- n. An alcoholic solution containing an extract of the bark and leaves of this plant, applied externally as a mild astringent.
- n. botany Any of several small deciduous trees, of the genus Hamamelis, having yellow flowers
- n. US, botany Hamamelis virginiana (Eastern North America), especially, or Hamamelis vernalis (Ozarks).
- n. medicine An extract of the bark and/or leaves of this plant, used as an astringent
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. See Witch-hazel, and Hamamelis.
- n. lotion consisting of an astringent alcoholic solution containing an extract from the witch hazel plant
- n. any of several shrubs or trees of the genus Hamamelis; bark yields an astringent lotion
- See Middle English wiche, Old English wice ("pliant, bendable, weak") (Wiktionary)
- Alteration of obsolete wych, wych elm; see wych elm + hazel. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Just continue to use that soothing Epifoam or line your pad with a couple witch hazel pads and take it easy for a couple weeks.”
“Toothaches were relieved by applying the hot, aromatic, and astringent leaves of witch hazel the “tooth-ache tree” to the teeth and gums or by applying a hot compress of animal fat and powdered corn.”
“What does help ease the pain are the tools your nurse will give you—a squirt bottle, witch hazel pads, and Epifoam.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘witch hazel’.
Very familiar names, compound words and phrases containing HH or H H
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
Trimming the "Chained Bear's Favorites" list so I don't crash people's computers... like my own...
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
Names used for Behr Paints in spring of 2008. I'm curious to see if Behr gives the same colors different names in other years, so I've tagged each color with its Behr product number. It turns out t...
liminal space forms
For double the fun, see also Congenital Conditions.
Started off as herbs and spices, now to herbalry and nature-based drugs of all sorts. Plus beautiful flower names!
Looking for tweets for witch hazel.