from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. resembling or related to the genus Xiphias (swordfish).
- adj. resembling or related to the family Xiphiidae (a group of fish).
- n. Any member of the genus Xiphias or family Xiphiidae.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or resembling, a cetacean of the genus Xiphius or family Xiphiidæ.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Resembling the swordfish; related to the swordfish; belonging to the Xiphiidæ, or having their characters. Also xiphiiform.
- n. A member of the family Xiphiidæ.
- n. In mammalogy See ziphioid.
From ξιϕία (xiphia), from ξίϕος (xiphos, "sword") + -oid (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.