from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- The world's smallest continent, southeast of Asia between the Pacific and Indian oceans.
- A commonwealth comprising the continent of Australia, the island state of Tasmania, two external territories, and several dependencies. The first British settlement, a penal colony at Port Jackson (now part of Sydney), was established in 1788. The present-day states grew as separate colonies; six of them formed a federation in 1901. In 1911 Northern Territory joined the commonwealth and the Capital Territory, site of Canberra, was created. Canberra is the capital and Sydney is the largest city. Population: 20,400,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A country in Oceania. Official name: Commonwealth of Australia.
- proper n. The continent of Australia-New Guinea. New Guinea and the intervening islands are also on the Australian tectonic plate and are thus geologically considered part of the continent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a nation occupying the whole of the Australian continent; Aboriginal tribes are thought to have migrated from southeastern Asia 20,000 years ago; first Europeans were British convicts sent there as a penal colony
- n. the smallest continent; between the South Pacific and the Indian Ocean
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - JULY 19: His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI dedicates a new altar and celebrates Holy Mass with Australian bishops, seminarians and male and female novices in St Mary's Cathedral as part of the events for World Youth Day on July 19, 2008 in Sydney, Australia.
The connection b/w 'teach for australia' and 'teach for america': I found this job opportunity - Country Relations Manager, Australia on the Teach for America site but don't know whether it is still current - it might give you a lead in
Pakistan beat Australia by 23 runs •Australia lost 10th wicket in 19th over -- 10-144 (Tait, 18.4 ov)
January 30th, 2010 AUSTRALIA (GaeaTimes. com) - Australia managed to win the ICC Under-19 World
If you are concerned about friends or relatives in Haiti * call DFAT on 1300 555 135 within Australia (local call cost) or +61 2 6261 3305 from outside Australia*.
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 19: Ana Ivanovic of Serbia plays a forehand in her first round match against Shenay Perry of the United States of America during day two of the 2010 Australian Open at Melbourne Park on January 19, 2010 in Melbourne, Australia.
AUSTRALIA Day celebrations to bring the community together will be held in Williamstown and Altona on the Australia Day long weekend.
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - DECEMBER 09: Buddhist Monks bless a whale sand sculpture during a Greenpeace anti-whaling protest on Bondi Beach on December 9, 2008 in Sydney, Australia.
The web's original travel blog ugg australia story began in 1978, when Brian Smith, a young surfer from Australia, took a trip to the United States with a bag full of Ugg sheepskin boots.
BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA - DECEMBER 07: Tim Smith runs a drill during a Brisbane Broncos NRL training session at the University of Queensland on December 7, 2009 in Brisbane, Australia.