from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Roman Mythology The goddess of agriculture.
- noun The closest dwarf planet to the sun, with an orbit between Mars and Jupiter. Ceres was the first object in the asteroid belt to be discovered.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun In class. myth., the name given by the Romans to the Greek goddess Demeter, whose worship they adopted with some subordinate differences.
- noun An asteroid discovered by Piazzi at Palermo, Sicily, in 1801.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Class. Myth.) The daughter of Saturn and Ops or Rhea, the goddess of corn and tillage.
- noun (Actron.) The first discovered asteroid.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- proper noun Roman mythology The Roman
goddessof agriculture; equivalent to the Greekgoddess Demeter.
- proper noun astronomy A celestial body
orbitingbetween Marsand Jupiter, the largest asteroidand innermost dwarf planet; officially called 1 Ceres.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun (Roman mythology) goddess of agriculture; counterpart of Greek Demeter
- noun the largest asteroid and the first discovered
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
[Enter Ceres, in likeness of a stately woman, bearing poppies and ears of wheat in her hands, and crowned with a wreath of flowers and berries.] _Ceres_: What! loose, and chatting here at play,
CERES -- A 35-year-old Ceres woman whose arm was severed as she cleaned a Hershey chocolate factory machine will get $100,000 in exchange for criminal charges being dropped against the company, a prosecutor said Wednesday.
CERES - East Union No. 1Tyler Ward won 6-0 and 6-2, and fell 6-4 to Ceres 'No. 1 Thursday in a
Ceres is a planet, and it is orders of magnitude easier and cheaper to get to the surface of Ceres and back to Earth than it is to get to the surface of Mars and back to Earth.
Spent some time in Ceres … To be honest … they run a machine.
However, Ceres is a landing, not a rendezvous target, something very different.
Going to Mars or to Ceres is an exciting endeavor and I certainly support those goals.
The water may be green and spaceships may be landing on a regular basis, but New Ceres is a planet firmly entrenched in Eighteenth Century culture.
The Dawn mission to asteroid Vesta and dwarf planet Ceres is managed and operated by JPL for NASA's Science Mission Directorate, Washington, D.C. The University of California, Los Angeles, is responsible for overall Dawn mission science.
These pics do not resemble ANY farms in CERES and our seasonal harvesting does not match the date of pics taken - i can only be possible in the Northern Hemiphere, and not Ceres is in SOUTH Africa - (Emphasis on south!)