from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Greek Mythology The sister and wife of Cronus and the mother of Demeter, Hades, Hera, Hestia, Poseidon, and Zeus.
- n. The satellite of Saturn that is tenth in distance from the planet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the family Rheidae — the rheas.
- proper n. A Titan, the daughter of Uranus and Gaia, the mother of Demeter, Hades, Hera, Hestia, Poseidon, and Zeus.
- proper n. One of the moons of Saturn.
- proper n. A female given name in occasional use.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The ramie or grass-cloth plant. See Grass-cloth plant, under grass.
- n. Any one of three species of large South American ostrichlike birds of the genera Rhea and Pterocnemia. Called also the American ostrich.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anc. myth., a daughter of Uranus and Ge, or Heaven and Earth, wife and sister of Kronos, and mother of various divinities.
- n. [NL.] In ornithology: The only genus of Rheidæ; the only American genus of living ratite birds; the only three-toed ostriches.
- n. [lowercase] An American ostrich.
- n. The fifth satellite of Saturn.
- n. The ramie-plant or -fiber.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. fertility goddess in ancient Greek mythology; wife of Cronus and mother of Zeus; identified with Roman Ops and Cybele of ancient Asia Minor
- n. larger of two tall fast-running flightless birds similar to ostriches but three-toed; found from Brazil to Patagonia
- n. smaller of two tall fast-running flightless birds similar to ostriches but three-toed; found from Peru to Strait of Magellan
Just as the name Rhea takes on Carla’s image from Cheers, the name Rue takes on Blanche’s image from The Golden Girls.
However, Rhea is much larger (with a diameter of 1,528.8 km) than either Mimas (396.6 km) or Enceladus (504.2 km).
In that vein, the biggest crater at the south pole has been called Rhea Silvia, the mother of Romulus and Remus.
I’m not going to insist on a URL for anyone commenting – Rhea is a good example of who that would penalize.
Drilling of the high-grade strand, now termed Rhea, together with other targets situated in the south east part of the project area will commence when permitting and heritage surveys have been completed.
Rhea which is also known under the name of ramie, is a textile plant which was indigenous to China and India.
Though the two look close together, Epimetheus is actually well behind the heavily cratered Rhea.
I saw 9 a week ago and being the science fictional gal I am, when fellow writer Rhea Rose wanted to see a movie, we got it down to Where the Wild Things Are and Zombieland.
Former President Al Rhea resigned from the board last month.
Maricela Perez, a nurse and lifelong resident of Aurora, was selected by the West Aurora School Board (District 129) to fill the vacancy of board member Al Rhea, who resigned earlier this month.