from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An extinct human species (Homo neanderthalensis) or subspecies (Homo sapiens neanderthalensis) living during the late Pleistocene Epoch throughout most of Europe and parts of Asia and northern Africa and associated with Middle Paleolithic tools.
- n. An individual belonging to this species or subspecies.
- n. Slang A crude, boorish, or slow-witted person.
- adj. Of, having to do with, or resembling Neanderthals.
- adj. Slang Crude, boorish, or slow-witted.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to Homines neanderthalenses.
- adj. Old-fashioned, opposed to change (in allusion to Homo neanderthalensis).
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Neander Valley in Germany.
- n. A specimen of the now extinct species Homo neanderthalensis.
- n. A primitive person.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or named from, the Neanderthal, a valley in the Rhine Province, in which were found parts of a skeleton of an early type of man. The skull is characterized by extreme dolichocephaly, flat, retreating forehead, with closed frontal sutures, and enormous superciliary ridges. The cranial capacity is estimated at about 1,220 cubic centimeters, being about midway between that of the Pithecanthropus and modern man.
- adj. Similar to or reminiscent of a neanderthal human; troglodytic; primitive and uncultured.
- proper n. A neanderthal human being; a member of the race Homo sapiens neanderthalensis.
- proper n. One resembling a neanderthal human; a troglodyte; a cave man.
- proper n. A person of primitive, unenlightened or uneducated opinions or attitudes; one with a regressive social or political outlook; -- used disparagingly.
The term Neanderthal is sometimes used to refer to a person who is thought to have primitive or unenlightened ideas: I tried talking politics to Joe, but hes a real Neanderthal.
If a Neanderthal is against Socialism, an ideology Maxine passionately identifies with as evidenced in the linked video, then count me in.
This is what we call a Neanderthal, a knuckle dragger.
"For many, the term 'Neanderthal' is still synonymous with 'knuckle-dragging thuggish brute,'" Adler said at the time.
Neanderthal is probably one of the nicest names I could come up with for these slimey bribe-taking criminals who are doing everything possible to make themselves and the healthcare industry richer.
Dr. Geist based his research partially on injuries sustained by Rodeo Cowboys and Rodeo Clowns which compare favorably to those seen in Neanderthal fossils.
I've always been interested in Neanderthal and just what might have happened to thier kind.
Something happend for sure as Neanderthal is to date the longest lived "Human" inhabitant of the planet at over 200,000 years.
New evidence on the role of climate in Neanderthal extinction
In 1856 limestone quarymen discovered bones of a human in a cave that have since become known as Neanderthal Man.