from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The process by which air is circulated through or mixed with a substance such as soil or a liquid.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Exposure to the free action of the air; airing
- n. A change produced in the blood by exposure to the air in respiration; oxygenation of the blood in respiration; arterialization.
- n. The act or preparation of charging a liquid with carbon dioxide gas to make it effervescent.
- n. the act of charging a liquid with air or oxygen for the purpose of purification.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of airing or of exposing to the action of the air: as, the aëration of soil by plowing, harrowing, etc.
- n. The act or operation of mixing or saturating with a gas, as carbonic-acid gas or common air.
- n. In physiology, the arterialization of the venous blood by respiration in the higher animals, and by corresponding processes in the lower animals.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the process of exposing to air (so as to purify)
- n. the act of charging a liquid with a gas making it effervescent
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Seems it aids in aeration as well. nordist on 25 Jan 2010 at 6: 06 am #
No significant aeration occurs when a wine is simply uncorked and left to sit in the open bottle.
Mechanical treatment methods, such as aeration, are not typically used due to cost and complexity of operation .
A third method of aeration which is the most efficient of all
As a general rule of thumb, however, I would suggest leaving the door open for aeration purposes.
The secret to composting, I was coming to see, and the reason for my family's embarrassing failure at it, was aeration.
It doesn't work, minnows will die without aeration.
Hot days call for maximum foot aeration and these sustainably made slippers have got you covered (or not covered!)
I decanted the most formidable and found after even just an hour's aeration they were much more approachable.
The gentleman in front of me had a nice bag of fish, while waiting with bags in the aeration tanks his bag shook violently.