from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having the characteristics of an acid and a base and capable of reacting chemically either as an acid or a base.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having the characteristics of both an acid and a base, and capable of reacting as either; amphiprotic.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Partly one and partly the other; neither acid nor alkaline; neutral.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Partly the one and partly the other; neutral.
- In chem., capable, in different reactions, of exhibiting both acid and basic character, as, for example, glycoeoll or amidoacetic acid.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having characteristics of both an acid and a base and capable of reacting as either
Turns out the official Wikipedia answer is that it is an amphoteric compound reacting with both acids and bases and aqueous solutions are mildly alkaline.
There are four types of detergents: anionic, nonionic, cationic, and amphoteric.
Other words for stabilizer are: amphoteric, neutral or intermediate oxide.
Announced that the Canadian Patent Office issued a Notice of Allowance for patent application 2,438,116 with claims that broadly cover amphoteric liposomal formulations SMARTICLES ® and their use for the delivery of nucleic acids and other compounds with therapeutic application;
Baking soda is an amphoteric, which basically means that it's a neutralizer because it reacts with both acids and bases.
Surfactants, the active ingredients in wetter-spreader adjuvant, are further categorized as non-ionic, cationic, anionic, or amphoteric surfactants.
Mild cleansing compositions - Mild cleansing compositions comprising anionic, nonionic and / or amphoteric surfactants, one or more dyes having a total color, and one or more encapsulated dyes, including microencapsulated dyes, in microcapsules prepared by coacervation, precipitation, polycondensation or other reaction of anionic and cationic components, which encapsulated dyes have a total color different from ...
Aim of this work is the development and testing of novel amphoteric nanosized poly (amidoamine) hydrogel film incorporating 4-aminobutylguanidine (agmatine) moieties to create RGD-mimicking repeating units for promoting cell adhesion.
A systematic comparative study of the response of an epithelial cell line was performed on hydrogels with agmatine and on non-functionalized amphoteric poly (amidoamine) hydrogels and tissue culture plastic substrates.
ammunition, storage of, 741 see also guns amphoteric detergents, 438-39