from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A cement or paste (as of plaster and freestone, or of sawdust and glue or lime) used by sculptors and builders to fill holes, cover defects, or finish a surface.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A cement or distemper paste (as of plaster and powdered freestone, or of sawdust and glue or lime) used by sculptors, builders, and workers in wood or stone, to fill holes, cover defects, finish a surface, etc.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A mixture of plaster and freestone, ground together and sifted, used by sculptors to fill the small holes and repair the defects of the stones used by them.
  • n. A mixture of sawdust and glue, or of whiting and glue, used by joiners to fill up defects in their work.
  • n. A preparation or wash for coloring houses, or for giving plaster the appearance of stone, consisting of powdered stone, sawdust, slaked lime, alum, and other ingredients.
  • n. A preparation of tallow and chalk used by coopers.


French (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.