from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A bruised discoloration of the flesh surrounding the eye, often resulting from a blow.
- noun A blow to one's reputation; a source of dishonor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun An eye which has been
bruisedshowing noticeable hematoma, especially after receiving a blow.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a swollen bruise caused by a blow to the eye
- noun an unfortunate happening that hinders or impedes; something that is thwarting or frustrating
- noun a bad reputation
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.