from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An emblem, badge, or rosette made of blue ribbon that is awarded as the first prize in a competition.
- n. An award or honor given for excellence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The highest honor or prize awarded in some competitions and contests.
- n. A badge worn or displayed to advocate freedom from online censorship.
- adj. Very superior in quality, style, or substance.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. The distinctive badge of certain temperance or total abstinence organizations, as of the Blue ribbon Army.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an honor or award gained for excellence
Perhaps a calque translation of Middle French cordon bleu ("blue ribbon") worn by knights of the highest order of chivalry or after Blue Riband, a sailing award. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.