Help Wordnik hunt for a million missing words by backing our Kickstarter!


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A steel cutting tool with a sharp beveled point, used in engraving or carving stone. Also called graver.
  • n. The style or technique of an engraver's work.
  • n. Archaeology A stone tool with a chisellike head. Also called graver.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A chisel with a sharp point, used for engraving; a graver.
  • n. A prehistoric flint tool.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. The cutting tool of an engraver on metal, used in line engraving. It is made of tempered steel, one end being ground off obliquely so as to produce a sharp point, and the other end inserted in a handle; a graver; also, the similarly shaped tool used by workers in marble.
  • n. The manner or style of execution of an engraver.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. An engravers' tool of tempered steel, with a lozenge-shaped point, fixed in a handle the end of which, held in the hand, is rounded at the top; a graver.
  • n. The manner or style of execution of an engraver: as, a soft burin; a brilliant burin.
  • n. A steel graver used by marble-workers. Also spelled burine.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a chisel of tempered steel with a sharp point; used for engraving


French, probably from obsolete Italian burino, of Germanic origin.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • "This incision in his olfactory tract producing a naso-dilation, Cochin profits from it by quickly scarifying Vowl's partition with a surgical pin, scraping it with a burin. . ." Gilbert Adair translation of Georges Perec's La Disparition

    August 11, 2010