from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The purchase of the entire holdings or interests of an owner or investor.
- n. The purchase of a company or business: "If the workers do approve the buyout, their company will become the nation's largest employee-owned enterprise” ( Harry Anderson).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The acquisition of a controlling interest in a business or corporation by outright purchase or by purchase of a majority of issued shares of stock.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the acquisition of ownership of a company by purchasing a controlling percentage of its stock.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. acquisition of a company by purchasing a controlling percentage of its stock
Sorry, no etymologies found.
These owners are either estatic over their good fortune or fearing that the details of the buyout is about to bring them down too.
Forstmann was a pioneer, a genius in business and a man that changed and coined the phrase "buyout".
Crucell, whose management and board support a J & J buyout, is to be sold at a 58% premium for 4.5 times reported 2009 sales.
At age 36, Amanda surprised the food world when she took a buyout from the Times in order to start her own internet venture: www. food52.com.
O'Brien objected, and eventually accepted a buyout from the network to leave.
The lump sum he took from the buyout is gone, Shales says Thursday night, on the phone from his house in McLean.
With an enterprise value of $10.5 billion, a buyout is quite digestible by pharma's bigger players.
A buyout is COMPLETELY voluntary, and only those who see it as a fiscal advantage take the option.
Why does the marginal investor invest in buyout funds?
(Nasdaq) tumbled 67 cents, or 12%, to 4.92, after Morgan Keegan cut its investment rating on the stock to "underperform" from "market perform," saying the chances of a near-term buyout seem slim.