from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Living in fresh water but migrating to marine waters to breed. Used of fish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. that lives in fresh water and breeds in the sea
- adj. Of a fern in which the first veins in a frond segment are produced towards the base of the frond.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having the lowest inferior segment of a pinna nearer the rachis than the lowest superior one; -- said of a mode of branching in ferns, and opposed to
- adj. Living in fresh water, and going to the sea to spawn; -- opposed to
anadromous, and said of the eel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Running down; descending: applied to certain fishes which descend streams to the sea to spawn: opposed to anadromous.
- In botany, having the first set of nerves (in each segment of a fern frond) given off on the basal side of the midrib, as in Osmunda. Compare anadromous .
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. migrating from fresh water to the sea to spawn
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The reverse occurs with catadromous species, such as the eel (Anguilla anguilla), which spawns at sea.
Most arctic diadromous species are actually anadromous (i.e., use estuarine and/or marine environments for feeding and rearing; and freshwater environments for spawning, early life history, and, in the case of most arctic species, overwintering); only freshwater eels (Anguillidae) and some lampreys (Petromyzontidae) are catadromous (i.e., breed at sea and rear in freshwater).
I think the way Fish phrases his catadromous "position" on superdelegates is typical of both Fish and Althouse.
The catadromous American eel may also be found in the area.
It is a catadromous species, meaning it lives primarily in fresh water and when the monsoon comes to the Top End this is what we call the Northern most reaches of Australia, the fish migrate to salt water in order to spawn.
It's the catadromous lifestyle that gives eels their profound weirdness.
A new catadromous sme software anti gaea programma pay as you go foretoken, reverent anaplasty backstairs, low escort and appealing borago on infarction.