from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A decorative sewing stitch in which loops are connected like the links of a chain.
- noun A basic crochet stitch in which connected loops of yarn or thread form a chain.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A stitch used in various kinds of ornamental needlework, in ordinary sewing (in contrast with the lockstitch) by some sewing-machines, and as the characteristic method in tambour-work.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- An ornamental stitch like the links of a chain; -- used in crocheting, sewing, and embroidery.
- (Machine Sewing) A stitch in which the looping of the thread or threads forms a chain on the under side of the work; the loop stitch, as distinguished from the lock stitch. See
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun An
ornamental stitchlike the linksof a chain, used in crocheting, sewing, and embroidery.
- noun A
stitchin which the loopingof the threador threads forms a chainon the undersideof the work; the loop stitch, as distinguished from the lock stitch.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a looped stitch resembling the links of a chain; used in embroidery and in sewing
- noun the most basic of all crochet stitches made by pulling a loop of yarn through another loop
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.