from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality, capability, or power to elicit belief: "America's credibility must not be squandered, especially by its leaders” ( Henry A. Kissinger).
- n. A capacity for belief: a story that strained our credibility.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. reputation impacting one's ability to be believed
- n. Whether or not a witness is being truthful.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality of being credible; credibleness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The capability or condition of being credited or believed; that quality in a person or thing which renders him or it worthy of credence; credibleness; just claim to credit: as, the credibility of a witness; the credibility of a statement or a narrative.
- n. That which makes credible; evidence of truth; proof.
- n. Credence; credit; belief.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the quality of being believable or trustworthy
Gucci's racy advertising several years ago sparked outrage from older magazine readers, though it helped give the label credibility among younger shoppers.
Bill, your credibility is at stake if you don't win that State for BO .....
Could it be that Gordon Brown has fiddled so many figures and double or treble announced so many increases in funding over the last 10 years that his credibility is at approximately zero.
When you resort to calling me a “jackass” you are helping me find where your credibility is at.
I am interested in your credibility, and to what level your credibility is at.
Maybe your credibility is about sharing the good stuff.
Adding to your credibility is the appearance that you do not seem to have any political party affiliations.
On the amateur side are those individuals who hack for the thrill of it, seeking information on NASA and UFOs, for example, or to gain "credibility" with cyber gang members.
Kroger's story that Beau's credibility is too damaged to hold up in court is just ridiculous - especially going up against that beacon of integrity Sam Adams.
And it has certainly cost us credibility from the public because of conflicting recommendations.