from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A fancy twist or curl, such as a flourish made with a pen.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A fancy twisting or curling shape made from a series of concentric circles.
  • v. To make or adorn (something) with curlicues, or as if with curlicues

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. Some thing curled or spiral, as a flourish made with a pen on paper, or with skates on the ice; a trick; a frolicsome caper.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. Something fantastically curled or twisted: as, to make a curlicue with the pen; to cut curlicues in skating.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a short twisting line
  • n. a round shape formed by a series of concentric circles (as formed by leaves or flower petals)


curly + cue1, tail, and possibly cue3.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From curly +‎ cue. (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.