from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. In a distinct manner.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. With distinctness; not confusedly; without the blending of one part or thing another; clearly; plainly.
- adv. With meaning; significantly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In a distinct manner; with distinctness; not confusedly, unclearly, or obscurely; so as not to be confounded with anything else; without the blending of one part or thing with another: as, a proposition distinctly understood; a figure distinctly defined.
- Hence—2. Without doubt; obviously; evidently; incontrovertibly.
- Separately; in different places.
- Synonyms Distinctly, Clearly, explicitly, definitely, precisely, unmistakably. The first two are sometimes distinguished thus: I see it clearly — that is, fully outlined from all other objects; I see it distinctly—that is, with its features separate to the eye. This, however, is a rather uncommon refinement of meaning. See distinctively.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. clear to the mind; with distinct mental discernment
- adv. to a distinct degree
- adv. in a distinct and distinguishable manner
She could not hear her name distinctly but imagination supplied the sound.
He promised to lead America with optimism, determination and what he called distinctly American solutions.
Arrayed in what she calls distinctly “dress,” scented, adorned, displayed, she achieves by artifice a sexual differentiation profounder than that of any other vertebrated animal.
Arrayed in what she calls distinctly "dress," scented, adorned, displayed, she achieves by artifice a sexual differentiation profounder than that of any other vertebrated animal.
It is a spirit which we call distinctly modern, yet it is as old as paganism.
Its success, Mr. Simon said, rests largely on what he called a "distinctly Taiwanese voice" and a certain irreverence that draws from not being in the United States.
I also think it's interesting to see the genre wrapped in distinctly Western military sci-fi as opposed to the more fantastic environments to which we're accustomed even with Metroid -- even though it's long been my position that video games have more than enough steel gray helmets-and-guns stories.
The first sci-fi book I remember distinctly is Jurassic Park.
To avoid a same predestine next fall, Democrats need to support a national debate in distinctly populist terms.
Mortgage fraud and predatory lending are often classified as distinctly different forms of abuse.