from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A small roofed structure projecting outward on a larger sloping roof.
  • noun A window set in such a structure.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A sleeping-room; a dormitory.
  • noun A dormer-window.
  • noun Same as dormant

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun (Arch.) A window pierced in a roof, and so set as to be vertical while the roof slopes away from it. Also, the gablet, or houselike structure, in which it is contained.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun architecture a room-like, roofed projection from a sloping roof
  • noun dormer-window

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a gabled extension built out from a sloping roof to accommodate a vertical window


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[Obsolete French dormeor, sleeping room, from dormir, to sleep; see dormant.]



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • A window partly in the wall and partly in the roof.

    August 25, 2008