from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Requiring a large expenditure; costly.
- adjective Marked by high prices.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Costly; requiring or entailing much expense: as, an expensive dress or equipage; an expensive family; expensive tastes or habits.
- Free in expending; liberal; extravagant; lavish.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Occasioning expense; calling for liberal outlay; costly; dear; liberal
- adjective rare Free in expending; very liberal; especially, in a bad sense: extravagant; lavish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective having a high
- adjective computing taking a lot of system time or resources
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective high in price or charging high prices
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Since semiconductor-grade silicon is expensive, though, using high-quality crystals makes solar cells even _more _expensive.
Who cares if they have what you alluded to as expensive homes and cars...who cares when they've successfully raised the next generation of inmates and miscreants.
Smith would not say how much the investigation into Tressel's NCAA troubles would cost, although the university has hired two what he called "expensive" companies to help.
By far the least expensive is Toronto, which I believe (just by memory) was around $65M.
Tie it up in expensive health care and higher taxes to pay for other people getting care then you have less cash flow to your pocket.
In practice, affordable housing seems to mean “poor people living in expensive neighborhoods.”
If I come down with certain expensive medical problems, my private health care company can say, "It's not covered."
But when Portland City Hall starts playing the Barcelona card, you know something dumb and expensive is about to happen.
There's something quire bizarre about the Welsh Conservative Assembly group spending thousands of pounds of public money and staying in expensive hotels on a "fact finding" trip to Brussels.
Is it more than a White Messiah movie wrapped in expensive gimickry?