from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. Any of the short hairs fringing the edge of the eyelid.
  • n. A row of the hairs fringing the eyelid.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. One of the hairs which grow along the edge of eyelids.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. The fringe of hair that edges the eyelid; -- usually in the pl.
  • n. A hair of the fringe on the edge of the eyelid.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. One of the small hairs or bristles which grow in a row, or in rows, on the edges of the eyelids; a cilium of the eyelid; a lash.
  • n. Either one of the two rows or lines of hairs which respectively fringe the upper and lower eyelid; the superior or inferior cilia; a series of eyelashes collectively. See cut under eye.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. any of the short curved hairs that grow from the edges of the eyelids


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.