from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An employee of a department store who supervises sales personnel and assists customers. Also called floor manager.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An employee in a large shop (especially a department store) who acts as supervisor to sales staff, and assists customers.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who walks about in a large retail store as an overseer and director.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A person employed in a large retail shop to walk about the place, give information to customers, watch their conduct and that of employees, etc. Also called shop-walker.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an employee of a retail store who supervises sales personnel and helps with customer problems
Sorry, no etymologies found.
At stops in Vicksburg, Greenville or Stovepipe Bend, Sam serves as a different kind of floorwalker, trying to keep order among the raucous, 500-plus crowds smelling of sweat and Sen-Sen and armed with knives or moonshine or both.
When I entered I approached the "floorwalker," and handing him my sample, said:
The floorwalker is our point of social contact with patrons. "
It was the implacable standards of a department store floorwalker who insisted on being addressed as "Captain".
Garner unwittingly has inherited this trait, proudly showing her handful of pennies to a suspicious floorwalker at a 5 & 10 cent store, proving that she has a right to be there because she is a customer.
After his return from Europe, Sam gets hired as a floorwalker in a New Orleans department store, a job he loves as much for its "light duty" overseeing the staff and helping customers as for its uniform of "snappy" suits.
His supervisor is a self-important floorwalker with a pince-nez and a morning suit.
Five minutes later, I got back in line to buy the game, and was pulled out almost immediately buy a floorwalker wielding a handheld.
The store dick looked at the floorwalker and nodded.
The floorwalker spotted the source of the trouble and began to hurry toward them, pausing at a cash register location to push a button labeled Special.