from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who imposes tasks, especially burdensome or laborious ones.
- n. A source of burden or responsibility: The profession of medicine is a stern taskmaster.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone who supervises workers, especially one who imposes hard or burdensome work.
- n. A source of hard work or responsibility.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who imposes a task, or burdens another with labor; one whose duty is to assign tasks; an overseer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who imposes a task or burdens with labor; one whose function it is to assign tasks to others; an overseer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who imposes hard or continuous work
My appointment with RFK, well known as a taskmaster who kept long hours, had been scheduled for 8:00 p.m.
The woman who could become America's next first lady is teasingly called the taskmaster by her friends, her task tonight, to sell themselves as an attractive first couple.
Williams is known as a taskmaster, and the fact that he would allow his team to snarkily trash talk the Tarheels before heading to the Dean Dome after
Sestak is known as a taskmaster with one of the worst staff turnover rates in DC
Ruth Sheen was relieved to complete filming on 'taskmaster' Mike Leigh's latest film
"He was definitely a workhorse, a taskmaster," the documentarian acknowledged.
Despite his proclivity for thumbing his nose at authority, Sachs is, in fact, a taskmaster in the studio.
Younger writers, back to Steve Earle and Rodney Crowell in the '70s, have often spoken of the time Mr. Clark has taken with them as both encourager and taskmaster, pushing them to strive for the right, better phrase in their lyrics.
Or will I find myself flat and twisted as a hieroglyph, the taskmaster, dressed and designated to deal with the people next door?
Khan had a reputation at his laboratory in Pakistan as a demanding taskmaster.