from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Warm affection or liking. See Synonyms at love.
- n. A strong inclination or preference; a taste: a fondness for sweets; a fondness for travel.
- n. Archaic Naive trustfulness; credulity.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the quality of being fond
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being fond; foolishness.
- n. Doting affection; tender liking; strong appetite, propensity, or relish.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or character of being fond.
- n. Foolish tenderness; tender passion; strong or demonstrative affection.
- n. Strong inclination, propensity, or appetite.
- n. Synonyms Attachment, Affection, etc. (see love); partiality, inclination, propensity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a quality proceeding from feelings of affection or love
- n. a positive feeling of liking
- n. a predisposition to like something
Not but what I know ladies of a certain description often have birds, but then their fondness is all affectation and fashion; but this poor thing was all nature.
The novelist Mark Winegardner, a veteran of the retreat circuit (he calls Yaddo his "go-to colony"), looks back with a certain fondness on the pre-Internet days, though he acknowledged the "anxiety and friction" among artists as they lined up after dinner to use payphones.
I will say that I have a certain fondness for the idea of tossing everyone in Congress in jail on a giant RICO prosecution.
The nation which indulges towards another a habitual hatred or a habitual fondness is in some degree a slave.
To those who remember this series with a certain fondness, I'd like to play a game: it's called 'pretend Saw VII never happened'.
It is no surprise, really, that even "moderate" conservatives have a certain fondness for Franco, who, after his victory, proceeded to execute 200,000 Spaniards who did not share his conservative values.
I felt a certain fondness for all these crazy, happy, hard-working, good people.
And when institutions in Japan announce their manga awards, my fondness is coupled with a serious spike in my covetous streak.
I have a certain fondness for cheesy Hong Kong flicks.
I have a certain fondness for Ray Bradbury; I read a handful of short stories and enjoyed them a lot.