from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A pad fitted over the sole of a horse's foot to prevent balling in snow.
- noun An anklet of leather strapped on a horse's foot to prevent interfering; a boot.
- noun In entomology, a cushion-like expansion on the lower surface of the tarsal joints: applied especially to the onychium, or membranous cushion between the tarsal claws. Also called
foot-cushionand pulvillus. See cut under flesh-fly.
- noun A highwayman who robs on foot; specifically, one of a large class, existing in Europe when police authority was still in an ineffective condition, who made a business of robbing people passing on horseback or in carriages.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun A highwayman or robber on foot.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The soft underside of an animal's
- noun medicine A medicated bandage for the treatment of
- noun archaic A
thiefon foot who robs travellers on the road.
- noun Australia (also "foot pad") An unmade, minor walking trail formed only by foot traffic.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a highwayman who robs on foot
Sorry, no etymologies found.
A footpad is a robber or thief specializing in pedestrian victims.
But at least there was one Border highwayman -- or is "footpad" here the more correct term?
Ah, but those were the times when life was worth the living; when a man who went out by night knew not at which dark corner a "footpad" might leap upon and slay him; when wild beasts roamed the forest and the jungles, and there were savage men, and countries yet unexplored.
a "footpad" might leap upon and slay him; when wild beasts roamed the forest and the jungles, and there were savage men, and countries yet unexplored.
Dance Dance Revolution is a game that syncs dance music to the gamer's steps on a touch-sensitive footpad, with varying levels of difficulty.
Arlo wondered if his wife noticed the gristly lumps that had formed along the old scar on Shadow's neck, where the footpad of Cody's dirt bike had caught her.
Impossible in the falling snow to get a lock on my footpad.
There have been dancing games before, of course, but they were rudimentary hopscotch affairs where you had to step on the right footpad at the right time.
That was like a DDR footpad setup in the stage right?
Caption: Mosaic of Phoenix lander footpad and blocks of water ice dubbed “Snow Queen” cleared of topsoil by descent rockets as spacecraft touched down near the frigid Martian North Pole on May 25, 2008.