from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large antelope (Oryx gazella) of arid regions of southern Africa, having long sharp straight horns, a tufted tail, and distinctive black and white markings on the head.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large African antelope of the Oryx genus.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A South African antelope (Oryx Capensis), having long, sharp, nearly straight horns.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The South African oryx, Oryx capensis, a fine large antelope of the group Oryginæ, especially abundant in the Kalahari desert and Damaraland.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large South African oryx with a broad black band along its flanks
I have not only my gemsbok, which is a gem above price, but also as fine
We simply follow the pulling of the rope, and it takes us to a kudu, giraffe, eland, warthog, or gemsbok.
It was a package deal offered in partnership with a South African outfit called Frontier Safaris -- the package allowed a duiker, a warthog, an impala, a blesbok, a gemsbok, two species of springbok, a bushbok, a wildebeest, and a kudu.
When you first begin, the better known animals are in the front of your mind, The Big Five, kudu sable, roan, gemsbok etc.
Louis's garrulous mother, Gerty, has flown up from South Africa to be our cook, and grills up tasty servings of klipspringer and gemsbok, which we wash down with Windhoek lagers, supposedly brewed to German purity rules.
Here were five gemsbok, faces painted like hoofers for the Ziegfeld Follies.
Big Game Hunting bear big game hunting big game photos caribou elk gemsbok impala kudu moose sheep
Along the way, you're apt to spot a few locals: sharp-horned oryx, gemsbok and ostrich.
I can even envision Herr Petzal holding his custom .338 with a tear in his eye as his gut shot gemsbok heads towards Botswana.
Had a hell of a time getting a gemsbok, although I saw them every day.