from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A supernatural creature who does one's bidding when summoned.
- n. A jinni.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An invisible spirit mentioned in the Qur'an and believed by Muslims to inhabit the earth and influence mankind by appearing in the form of humans or animals.
- n. A fictional magical being that is typically bound to obey the commands of a mortal possessing its container.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Same as jinnee.
- n. See genius.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Disposition; inclination; turn of mind; genius.
- n. Same as jinnee. See jinn.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Islam) an invisible spirit mentioned in the Koran and believed by Muslims to inhabit the earth and influence mankind by appearing in the form of humans or animals
They are fighting in vain, though, because the genie is already out of the bottle and the world will never be the same again.
They believe that things like Ebola, smallpox, and atomic energy all contain powerful, unseen spirits called djinns—from which we take the English word genie.
Answer: Yep - in fact, the main genie is the character who continues from book to book, carrying the weight of the series.
Regarding the eco-system, the genie is out of the bottle.
The genie is already out of the bag and they donât see it or even want to acknowledge it.
Schmidt spun all sorts of circles trying to justify her move, saying that she would still “return that money to the Treasury” if she could, but the “genie is out of the bottle.”
We have crossed over a line in this area, a long time ago, and the genie is out of the bottle.
The genie is out of the bag, its going to be impossible to get it back in on June 23, 2009 at 1: 25 pm anon
No matter the genie is out of the bottle, and crap like the Calman report will not stop it.
The genie is long out of the bottle and we all know too much.