from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person or thing that is believed to bring bad luck.
- n. A condition or period of bad luck that appears to have been caused by a specific person or thing.
- transitive v. To bring bad luck to.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A hex; an evil spell.
- n. A person or thing supposed to bring bad luck.
- v. To cast a spell on.
- v. To bring bad luck to.
- interj. Used after the same response is said by two people simultaneously. Often, a game is played where the person who failed to say "jinx" first becomes "jinxed", whereby they cannot speak until someone says their name.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A person, object, influence, or supernatural being which is supposed to bring bad luck or to cause things to go wrong.
- transitive v. To bring bad luck to; to cause to malfunction or go wrong.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an evil spell
- v. foredoom to failure
- n. a person believed to bring bad luck to those around him
- v. cast a spell over someone or something; put a hex on someone or something
The year 2009 also saw Arvind Bhat break the title jinx at the National championship after four abortive finals, when he beat P Kashyap in the summit clash in Indore.
Zedillo wanted at all costs to avoid the sixth-year, end-of-term jinx that has befallen every Mexican president since Luis Echeverria in 1976.
Hey listen, this is just the second-term jinx that always happens once you're a president.
KING: But if Republicans defy the traditional midterm jinx, the reasons extend beyond the President's aggressive campaigning.
"Don't forget that thing you call a jinx, which you say has been camping on our trail for so long."
Defying the second-term jinx, he vastly simplified the federal tax code, discharging millions of low-income Americans from taxpaying obligations altogether.
It became known as a jinx: if Bale was in the side, the stats suggested, Spurs wouldn't win.
Puyallup ends SPSL title jinx with win over Kentwood
Host Bengal will be hoping to exploit the home advantage to break its prolonged title jinx in the senior National football championship for the Santosh Trophy.
A superb exhibition of seam bowling led by left-arm pacer Ashish Nehra helped India end a 15-year title jinx at Asia Cup.