from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A source of harm or ruin: Uncritical trust is my nemesis.
- n. Retributive justice in its execution or outcome: To follow the proposed course of action is to invite nemesis.
- n. An opponent that cannot be beaten or overcome.
- n. One that inflicts retribution or vengeance.
- n. Greek Mythology The goddess of retributive justice or vengeance.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An archenemy
- n. A person or character who specifically brings about the downfall of another person or character
- n. The principle of retributive justice.
- n. A punishment or defeat that is deserved and cannot be avoided.
- n. The polar opposite of a character.
- n. A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Greek myth, a goddess personifying allotment, or the divine distribution to every man of his precise share of fortune, good and bad.
- n. Retributive justice.
- n. [NL.] In zoology, a genus of crustaceans.
- n. The 128th planetoid, discovered by Watson in 1872.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Greek mythology) the goddess of divine retribution and vengeance
- n. something causing misery or death
So, how can scientology claim to be a religion if their nemesis is their god.
This compelling legal drama welcomes veterans of stage and screen to the guest roster this week, including Tony winner Anika Noni Rose (the Dreamgirls movie, The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency) as a lawyer in nemesis Glenn Childs 'office as Alicia gets caught up in a multi-million dollar malicious prosecution case.
And everyone knows that Garland is the evil nemesis from the first Final Fantasy.
If he gets his putting under control — his main nemesis throughout the years — he'll be a major player in any of the major championships, considering how well he strikes the ball from tee to green.
"The nemesis is that which you can't conquer," he says.
My current nemesis is “nimblewill” — an actual weed that is ferocious.
His nemesis is a Scotland Yarder declared Sir Denis Nayland-Smith who with his trusty sidekick Dr Petrie pursues Dr FuManchu a same approach Holmes as good as Watson pursued Prof Moriarty all those years.
Right now my current nemesis is a pea-brained asshat who has put all 11 books of the Vampire Files up on half a dozen sites.
In that moment, facing the impending explosion, Bond must decide whether slaying his nemesis is worth the cost of other innocent lives.
And have the Red Skull be a somewhat laughable but believably maniacal nutcase, who emerges from the dark when he hears his old nemesis is back.