from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Scots A professional fishing and hunting guide. See Regional Note at mozo.
- n. A low-cut sports shoe with fringed laces.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. male attendant on a Scottish Highland chief
- n. fishing and hunting guide
- n. A man or boy who attends to a person who is hunting or fishing in Scotland.
- n. A low-cut type of shoe with decorative lacing.
- v. To be a gillie (a hunting or fishing guide) for (someone).
- n. A gill of an alcoholic drink.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A boy or young man; a manservant; a young male attendant, in the Scottish Highlands.
- n. a lowcut shoe without a tongue and decorative lacing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the Highlands of Scotland, a man-servant; a lad or young man employed as an attendant; an outdoor male servant, more especially one who is connected with or attends a person while hunting.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a shoe without a tongue and with decorative lacing up the instep
- n. a young male attendant on a Scottish Highlander chief
There's some really awesome camo patterns out there but when it comes to really erasing the human outline a gillie is the way to go.
Here is a link to where I purchased my bow huntin 'gillie, for anyone interested.
Borrow's life, for, soon after, when he first came among gypsy tents, and saw the long-haired woman with skin dark and swarthy like that of a toad, and a particularly evil expression, and when her husband threatened to baste the intruder with a ladle, the boy broke forth into what in Romany would be called a "gillie," or ditty, ending --
But the air she played was not the air of the song she called the 'Welsh dukkerin' gillie 'which I had heard by Beddgelert.
I do think that such a critter, a smart critter in tune with it's environment and born with something a lot like a gillie suit for hide would be able to easily avoid humans if it desired not to meet them.
Hey dummies, deer and elk can't tell the difference between breakup blaze orange-martian electric green and a olive drab n dirt or mossy oak gillie suit.
I like the idea of customizing a gillie suit for a bow hunter.
I have been slowly customizing my gillie suit but I had to pick up the tips from other places or from my friends talking.
I just wouldn't try something like that on public land because of the newbees that shoot at movement and if you wore a blaze vest, that would defeat the whole purpose of the gillie suit.
When I first saw a gillie suit, I thought it was something a military sniper would use, that just goes to show how technologically advanced the modern hunter is!