from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n.pl. People or society at a local level rather than at the center of major political activity. Often used with the.
- n.pl. The groundwork or source of something.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. People and society at the local level rather than at the national centre of political activity
- n. The essential foundation or source of something
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the essential foundation or source
- n. the common people at a local level (as distinguished from the centers of political activity)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
You struck a new land in pioneer days, and you picked up money like a lot of sailors shaking out nuggets from the grass roots in
Mission-oriented at the grass roots and supported by enlightened leadership from the head offices at AirLant and AirPac, the F-8 squadrons lived and dreamed fighter combat.
"From the grass roots down," he muttered in an awestricken voice, as he swung his pick into the yielding surface.