from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Protection or sanctuary provided by Old English law to persons in certain circumstances, as when in a church or traveling on the king's highway.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A truce; peace; security.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun obsolete Peace; security; agreement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun obsolete guaranteed security, sanctuary, safe conduct
- noun historical security, peace or protection guaranteed in particular instances in Old English law.
- noun historical a place of protection, a sanctuary
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
As painful as this is to watch, it goes quite a way toward explaining why each morning, I wake up to an inbox full of multi-millionaire Nigerians and pills offering an "xtra 2! n¢hes of grith" [sic].