from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See woodchuck. See Regional Note at woodchuck.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A red-brown marmot, Marmota monax, native to North America.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The aardvark.
- n. A reddish brown North American burrowing marmot (Marmota monax), also called the woodchuck. It hibernates in the winter.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The American marmot, Arctomys monax, more commonly called woodchuck. See cut under Arctomys.
- n. The aardvark or ant-eater of Africa, Orycteropus capensis. Also called ground-pig and earth-hog. See cut under aardvark.
- n. One of the fat white grubs or larvæ of some beetles, as the June-bug or the May-beetle. Also called white-grub.
- n. 4. A Madagascan insectivorous mammal of the family Centetidæ, as the Centetes ecaudatus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. reddish brown North American marmot
Later this week, a certain groundhog will pop his head out of a burrow in Punxsutawney, Pa.
The Kepler team has discovered these planets using something my friend Elizabeth describes as the groundhog method - you sit there staring at stars using highly precise instruments, and if you see a shadow, you get another planet.
I see your woodchuck and raise you a groundhog, a tougher tonguetwister developed by my sister when she discovered that a woodchuck and a groundhog were the same thing.
Turns out that Faubel's guest woodchuck - also known as a groundhog, land beaver or whistlepig - is not your typical engine hugger.
January 6th, 2009 1: 51pm mike why don't you respond to my post on "groundhog"?
You roll over and push yourself up we call this the "groundhog" move.
Because of the accident Gojiri damages her temporal lobe and as a result the contact between her short and long term memory has been lost, so she can only remember what occurred the day before, and will virtually re-live her life as 'groundhog' days.
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources uses "groundhog" cameras in every region of the state, Lt. Robert McC.llough said.
Australia captain Ricky Ponting could only reflect ruefully on a near 'groundhog' experience as his team made the same mistakes as they had in Southampton, and ended up with the same result.
a result the contact between her short and long term memory has been lost, so she can only remember what occurred the day before, and will virtually re-live her life as 'groundhog' days.