from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The headscarf worn by Muslim women, sometimes including a veil that covers the face except for the eyes.
- n. The institution of protection of women in some Islamic societies through veiling or seclusion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The veil worn by women beyond the age of puberty in front of non-related adult males.
- n. The hajib headscarf.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the custom in some Islamic societies of women dressing modestly outside the home
- n. a headscarf worn by Muslim women; conceals the hair and neck and usually has a face veil that covers the face
The term hijab or veil is not used in the Qur'an to refer to an article of clothing for women or men, rather it refers to a spatial curtain that divides or provides privacy.
The word hijab comes from the Arabic for veil and is used to describe the headscarves worn by Muslim women.
Besides being for modesty, the hijab is also a representation of Islamic identity.
Yeah, no doubt that the hijab is a kind of cultural rebellion in order to further embrace the fact that Canada nurtures “diverse” culture.
The part that I really enjoyed was the second paragraph, that she confirms what many Muslim women have said for years - that wearing a hijab is a liberating experience, that she is appreciated for herself, rather than as being treated as a sex object.
Sure, one could argue that the hijab is an ancient custom, it's backwards, uncivilized.
When she went out reporting, she ` d often wear what we call a hijab, a head covering.
In which “parts” of Germany a hijab is “altogether” banned???
Whereas in some countries (Saudi Arabia, Iran, parts of Afghanistan and Indonesia), hijab is mandated, in others, it has been banned in schools and other public spaces (Turkey, Tunisia, parts of Belgium and Germany).
Tobias, I did not say that hijab is altogether banned in Germany; the parentheses were in reference to all of the aforementioned places – In Germany, the hijab is banned IN SCHOOLS in eight states.