from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A woman's triangular scarf of lightweight fabric, worn over the shoulders and crossed or tied in a loose knot at the breast.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A woman's lightweight triangular scarf worn over the shoulders and tied in front
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A light cape, usually of lace, worn by women, to cover the neck and throat, and extending to the shoulders.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small triangular piece of stuff; hence, any covering for the neck and shoulders forming part of a woman's dress, sometimes a small light covering, as of lace or muslin.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a lightweight triangular scarf worn by a woman
To our friend both sky and sea were familiar companions; but the fichu was a new friend.
And uses a centuries-old trick for a glancing smile at modesty called a "fichu."
Later on, the fichu did the same function and could also be considered an early form of dickey.
Slender and graceful, she was clad in pale yellow, some filmy material that floated behind her in the slight breeze, with a matching fichu, and it struck him that she looked like a sunbeam herself, or certainly some bright, shiny creature that did not belong in the same world as the dark and desperate labyrinth he inhabited.
He untied the fichu and got up as quietly as he could.
He arranged the tiny garments on the bed, the fichu next to the petticoat, the stockings beside the shoes, and he looked at them, one after the other.
There was something about her, as she thus ran about among paths, where her outline appeared perfectly black, waving her angular arms, and with her fichu all in rags, that resembled a bat.
A large blue handkerchief, such as the Invalides use, was folded into a fichu, and concealed her figure clumsily.
Alors celle la je l'adore parce que ca m'arrive aussi de sursauter aux bruits de la maison quand je joue a ce fichu jeu ... pas plus tard qu'hier je jouais donc au 2 et pouf derriere moi ya une fleur fanée qui se scratche sur la table j'ai sursauté comme un cinglé!
Bref, content quand meme de l'avoir parce qu'il est quand meme limité a 5 000 exemplaires ce fichu "album"!!