from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A coming to or returning home.
- n. An annual event at schools, colleges, and universities for visiting graduates.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act or event of returning to home.
- n. In colleges and high schools, a tradition centred around a football game, a parade and the "coronation" of a Homecoming Queen.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A return home.
- n. A social event, usually held annually at colleges and universities, to welcome visiting alumni; a type of school reunion for graduates.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Return home or homeward.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an annual school or university reunion for graduates
- n. a coming to or returning home
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Thankfully, homecoming is right around the corner and he'll have Daddy back soon.
Howard University's homecoming is about more than a football game.
One of the highlights of homecoming is Grits and Gravy, which has the warm vibe of a house party (the hosts promise "no drama, no stress") and a soundtrack of '80s hip-hop and house that pulls multiple generations of alumni onto the dance floor.
An early-season homecoming is on the horizon for the veteran defenseman.
Because homecoming is as much about frocks as football, USA TODAY headed to Betsey Johnson's latest party dress destination, in Hackensack, N.J., for ideas on how to sparkle like a star on the gym floor.
The reality of my hubs homecoming is more likely this:
For the first time in a long time, though, John Gallagher's homecoming is assured.
Beach, their brother's homecoming is nothing less than miraculous.
[Third year homecoming is here - not featuring the photo since it was of you and me and not your date and you're wearing the same shirt/tie combo - Tsk!
Before carving the turkey and diving into a heavenly blob of mashed potatoes, it should be law that each and every one of us gives thanks for those in the service, and prays for their homecoming, which is a world of difference from home on leave.