from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to an age or period of 100 years.
- adj. Occurring once every 100 years: a centennial commemoration.
- adj. Of or relating to a 100th anniversary.
- n. A 100th anniversary or a celebration of it.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The 100th anniversary of an event or happening.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Relating to, or associated with, the commemoration of an event that happened a hundred years before.
- adj. Happening once in a hundred years.
- adj. Lasting or aged a hundred years.
- n. The celebration of the hundredth anniversary of any event; a centenary.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Consisting of or lasting a hundred years; completing a hundred years: as, a centennial epoch; the centennial year.
- Existing for a century or more.
- Happening every hundred years; relating to or marking a centenary: as, a centennial celebration.
- n. The commemoration or celebration of an event which occurred a hundred years before: as, the centennial of American independence.
- n. A dice game in which the object is to secure pips, or multiples of pips, which will make the figures from 1 to 12, and then from 12 to 1, in numerical order.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or completing a period of 100 years
- n. the 100th anniversary (or the celebration of it)
I recollect one year way back yonder we had what they called a centennial snow -- that was the biggest snow that's ever been and the best crop year I ever knowed.
A centennial is a special celebration for any city, and Pharr is no exception.
** I know for a fact that several members of THS were deeply involved in centennial celebration activities.
The HS suggests that the climate lacks long term centennial to millenial variability until it is perturbed by a rise in atmospheric CO2.
And yet Orwell's centennial is also a bit sad, given how he went out: on the brink of international renown for 1984, the physically exhausting writing of which -- on the bleak Isle of Jura in the Scottish Hebrides -- hastened his death.
The centennial is sad for another reason, entirely separate from his biography.
And it's one of the songs that my guest, Michael Feinstein, has chosen to play in celebration of Frank Loesser's centennial, which is today.
As you'd expect, his centennial is the occasion for festschrifts, festivals ( "Beckett festival" no longer sounds oxymoronic) and reminscences from friends and acquaintances who hadn't already weighed in, and from some who had.
I'm doing a book on my grandmother, a biography of my grandmother for her centennial, which is coming up in November of 1996.
Buri can survive 70 to 100 years and, for this reason, it is known as the centennial plant by many rural people.