from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Of or relating to marriage or the wedding ceremony.
- adjective Of, relating to, or occurring during the mating season.
- noun A wedding ceremony.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Of or pertaining to marriage, or to the marriage ceremony; connected with or used at a wedding.
- Synonyms Hymeneal, etc. (see
- noun Marriage: now always in the plural.
- noun Synonyms Wedding, Matrimony, etc. See
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun Marriage; wedding; nuptial ceremony; -- now only in the plural.
- adjective Of or pertaining to marriage; done or used at a wedding.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective Of or pertaining to
- adjective Capable, or characteristic, of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective of or relating to a wedding
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
He is addressed as a king possessed of all essential graces, as a conqueror exalted on the throne of a righteous and eternal government, and as a bridegroom arrayed in nuptial splendor.
The shrubs and flowers were in pairs; and I was informed that such little gardens appear about the houses where there are and have been nuptials, and hence they are called nuptial gardens.
By the fourth generation, Kammerer reported, male toads even had black "nuptial" pads, a trait water-mating toads have (to grasp a female) but midwife toads do not.
But let us see what he brought and espoused us with, what kind of nuptial gifts.
It was in fact a kind of nuptial hymn, which, taking its start from the thought of nature as the universal mother, celebrated the preliminary pairing and mating together of all fresh things, in the hot and genial spring-time -- the immemorial nuptials of the soul of spring itself and the brown earth; and was full of a delighted, mystic sense of what passed between them in that fantastic marriage.
So here's JP asking the waiter how much it would cost if Holli and Jay wanted to rent a "nuptial" room for the night.
On the other hand, in deeper waters, the red pigment prevails and females choose males that have bright red "nuptial" suits.
"nuptial," is really a reflection of the ultimate male-female Love that exists within the union.
Through close observation of 50 happily married couples, the authors identified four templates for lasting nuptial success.
So I don't care that Bridesmaids features bridesmaids, nor that it is ultimately uncritical of the American nuptial hyper-consumption that, from a distance, looks like a disorder.