from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that gives information.
- n. One who informs against others; an informer.
- n. One who furnishes linguistic or cultural information to a researcher.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who relays confidential information to someone, especially to the police; an informer.
- n. One who provides information about their language.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, informs, animates, or vivifies.
- n. One who imparts information or instruction.
- n. One who offers an accusation; an informer. See Informer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Giving form; transmuting matter by communicating to it a form; informing.
- n. One who informs or gives information; an informer.
- n. Synonyms Informant, Informer. Informant is special, relating only to a given occasion: as, who was your informant? Informer may be special or general, relating to one occasion or, more commonly, to a practice or occupation, as implying a habit of informing, or a dishonorable betrayal of knowledge gained in confidence. It has acquired odious associations.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who sees an event and reports what happened
- n. a person who supplies information
SEEING the same intelligence would have required asking pefect questions, searching reams of paper to find the hidden qualifiers, such as “the informant is a liar.”
The CIA agents killed by an informant is a pretty good indicator that profiling has its limits.
The involvement of a paid government informant is the only reason four Newburgh, N.Y., men are facing charges they engaged in a plot to blow up a Bronx synagogue and to shoot down military planes last year, defense lawyers said Tuesday.
Noel ordered that the file be turned over to Harkat's lawyers forthwith, even though a CSIS informant is named in it.
"Jericho" (CBS) -- Deaf actress Shoshannah Stern has played Bonnie Richmond on the sci-fi show for two years, and according to my informant is beloved character.
In other Wire news, this week's episode confirmed that Lester Fremon and Shardene (the much younger stripper turned informant from the 1st season) are still an item.
We know our informant is real, and we know their next target.
Peter Kellner denies these are the right figures, but the site's informant is standing by his claim.
BLITZER: The word informant has, sometimes, a sinister connotation, Steve, as you know.
The going rate, according to my informant, is between $10 and $20 thousand dollars, depending on the color of the child, and whether the purchaser is a foreigner.