from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or an instance of knocking down.
- n. The condition of being knocked down.
- n. An overwhelming blow or shock.
- n. Something designed to be easily assembled or disassembled.
- adj. Strong enough to knock down or overwhelm; powerful: a knockdown blow.
- adj. Designed to be easily assembled or disassembled: knockdown furniture.
- adj. Reduced: knockdown prices.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An act of knocking down or the condition of being knocked down.
- n. An overwhelming blow.
- n. A genetically modified organism that carries one or more genes in its chromosomes that has been made less active or had its expression reduced.
- n. The use of a reagent such as an oligonucleotide with sequence complementary to an active gene or its mRNA transcript, to interfere with the expression of said gene.
- n. The condition of a sailboat being pushed abruptly to horizontal, with the mast parallel to the water surface.
- n. a short pass played downwards, for example from the head onto someone's feet.
- adj. powerful enough to overwhelm or knock down
- adj. reduced in price
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. To strike down; to fell; to prostrate by a blow or by blows.
- n. To assign to a bidder at an auction, by a blow or knock of the auctioneer's hammer; to sell at an auction.
- n. To take apart; to dissassemble.
- n. To reduce or discount the price of.
- n. To earn (an income).
- n. That which knocks one down; something that overpowers or overwhelms, as strong liquor; specif., a kind of ale or beer that is very strong.
- n. A knocking down; a felling by a knock, as of a combatant, or of an animal; a blow that overwhelms; also, a fist fight.
- n. Something that knocks down, or takes apart, for packing or removal, as a piece of furniture; also, state of being knocked down, or taken apart.
- adj. Of force sufficient to fell or completely overthrow.
- adj. Designating a rivet end to be formed into a head by upsetting in fastening.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the act of knocking down at an auction; specif., designating the price below which an article will not be disposed by the auctioneer.
- adj. Made or constructed so as to be capable of being knocked down or taken apart, as for transportation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Such as to knock to the ground; hence, overwhelming; irresistible: as, a knock-down blow; a knock-down argument.
- Constructed so as to be readily knocked down or taken apart for convenience in transportation; prepared and kept in separate parts, ready to be put together as a whole.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. knock down with force
- v. cause to come or go down
- v. shatter as if by explosion
- adj. strong enough to knock down or overwhelm
- adj. (furniture) easily assembled and dismantled
- n. a blow that knocks the opponent off his feet
Hey Clay-You believe in "knockdown" power of a bullet?
He led the team in knockdown blocks as a junior and senior.
His outstanding blocking skills for the Mavericks 'ground game saw him rank among the team leaders in knockdown blocks every season ...
Figure 1: Short-term knockdown of DISC1 elicits spine enlargement in rat primary cortical neurons.
(a) Spine changes in mature neurons by short-term knockdown (2 d) of DISC1 using two independent RNAi.
Since completing the factory in 2002, Pyeonghwa has imported partially built cars, in a form called knockdown kits, from manufacturers such as Italy's Fiat SpA and China's Brilliance Automotive Holdings Ltd.
A knockdown is a knockdown, no matter what you say.
The guy was defenseless by then, and the knockdown was a mercy.
I confess, "he added laughing," I was a little apprehensive at one time that I should undergo what I believe you used to call a knockdown in the nineteenth century, if I did not act rather promptly.
He was strong in the eighth and ninth and even scored a knockdown, that wasn't called a knockdown in the 10th.