from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An action or a suit brought before a court, as to recover a right or redress a grievance.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. In civil law, a case where two or more people disagree and one or more of the parties take the case to a court for resolution.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An action at law; a suit in equity or admiralty; any legal proceeding before a court for the enforcement of a claim.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A suit at law or in equity; an action or a proceeding in a civil court; a process in law instituted by one party to compel another to do him justice.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a comprehensive term for any proceeding in a court of law whereby an individual seeks a legal remedy
Also ahead, the World Trade Center cough and why some are now uttering the term lawsuit in a very clear voice.
This for the reason that the lawsuit is a facial challenge, not a challenge to the law as applied.
Asked if the campaign had any qualms about using the legal action in a political ad, McMaster spokesman Rob Godfrey said the lawsuit is a key example of the candidate's courage and leadership abilities.
Having worked in the DOD, I would assume that any assertion of state secrets in the context of a lawsuit is a CYA move unless proven otherwise.
This column argues that the proposed settlement of this lawsuit is a privately negotiated compulsory license primarily designed to monetize millions of orphan works.
Spokesman Matthew Miller said the lawsuit is asking a federal court to intervene in ongoing military action and to direct the president on how to manage that action, all on behalf of a leader of a foreign terrorist group.
It looks like every one of those Attorneys General filing this lawsuit is a Republican.
The company would be financially prepared for a possible legal dispute if the lawsuit is admitted by the U.S. court in January, he said.
This lawsuit is a waste of time and tx payers dollars.
This lawsuit is akin to a negligent shooter suing the friend of the victim for the cost of the bullet and its tragic, avoidable consequences.