from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having, working under, or exerting little pressure.
- adj. Relaxed in attitude, nature, or style; easygoing: a low-pressure lifestyle; a low-pressure personality.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. The opposite of high-pressure, defined by contrast. Uses include: A low-pressure zone in meteorology, a low-pressure steam pipe (which is not as dangerous as a high-pressure one).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having, employing, or exerting, a low degree of pressure.
- adj. same as easygoing, 4.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Working with a low degree of steam-pressure: as, a low-pressure engine. See low pressure, under pressure.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not forceful
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The moderate to heavy rains expected early Thursday are the spawn of a low-pressure system off the Georgia coast and the remnants of the short-lived Tropical Storm Nicole.
Compressors are used to cool refrigerators by converting low-pressure refrigerant into a high-pressure vapor.
In a separate action, BMW is also recalling about 20,800 2008 X5 SUVs to replace the low-pressure fuel pump.
Let us, further, make a conservative assumption of my durability in these mentions, and posit that by the fourth generation of reference I have been replaced by the economy, or a low-pressure system over Michigan, or a memorable quiche seen on " Rachael Ray ."
Weather-service officials said the storm was one of the most powerful in the Midwest in decades, as measured by low-pressure readings, which were comparable to those found in a category 3 hurricane.
The remaining low-pressure system could still down trees, causing problems for homeowners and travelers.
In the best case, a low-pressure center could push the storm away from the coast, Feltgen says.
Even for people that have met in the real world, Words With Friends is a low-pressure tool for breaking the ice.
Farther West, another low-pressure system and associated cold front move into the Pacific Northwest.
In a massive rebuild, Entergy New Orleans began reconstructing the city's gas pipelines in 2007, and is also converting its local, low-pressure gas system to high pressure -- a move that the company says will improve service. end