from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A mean, vindictive spirit.
- noun The state of being mean in grade or quality; want of dignity or distinction; commonness; poorness; rudeness.
- noun Want of mental elevation or dignity, destitution of spirit or honor; contemptibleness; baseness.
- noun Sordid illiberality; stinginess; over-selfish economy in small things; niggardliness.
- noun Synonyms Abjectness, lowness, lowliness, scantiness. slenderness. See
- noun 2 and Littleness, Meanness, illiberality, sordidness, penuriousness, closeness, miserliness. Littleness applies to more than meanness applies to, as the understanding and the affections; it is the opposite of all largeness of nature, and especially of magnanimity. Meanness is directly selfish, but in a sordid, groveling, pinching fashion; it is the opposite of
noblenessand generosity. See penuriousness.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun The condition, or quality, of being mean; want of excellence; poorness; lowness; baseness; sordidness; stinginess.
- noun A mean act.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun uncountable The condition, or quality, of being
mean; want of excellence; poorness; lowness; baseness; sordidness; stinginess.
- noun A mean act; as, to be guilty of a meanness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun extreme stinginess
- noun the quality of being deliberately mean
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I thought you had been above such meanness, or, I promise you, I should never have borrowed your half-guinea, "added Holloway; and he left his unfortunate creditor to reflect upon the new ideas of _meanness_ and _spirit_, which had been thus artfully thrown out.
At this he affected to be perfectly unconcerned, and merely protested against what he called the meanness of trying to fix the charge on him.
Of course, meanness is not toughness, and the right are anything but tough.
As I use to say, meanness is becoming commonplace for our people.
In reading these blogs it seems that a lot more meanness is comeing from the Obama supporters.
My meanness is usually restricted to just not spending if at all possible!
I suspect that there's a mindset behind it of either desperation or just plain meanness that leads to this.
It may be that you just happened to run into a few people who think meanness is the way to go.
It is also unfit that any human being possessed of this precious and sacred treasure of human life should live in meanness, in penury, in hardship, in torment, unless these things be perceivably for disciplinary or retaliatory purposes imposed upon that life by the official sentence of organized society.
'Ah! Don Lorenzo, you forget in that pompous title the meanness of my origin.