from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Possible to be measured: measurable depths.
- adj. Of distinguished importance; significant: a measurable figure in literature.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Able to be measured.
- adj. Of significant importance.
- n. That which can be measured; a metric.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Capable of being measured; susceptible of mensuration or computation.
- adj. Moderate; temperate; not excessive.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Capable of being measured; susceptible of mensuration or computation.
- Moderate; temperate; limited; of small quantity or extent: as, to meet with measurable success.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. capable of being measured
- adj. of distinguished importance
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The authors applaud what they call measurable but uneven improvements in security but say that Iraq's political leaders are unable to effectively govern.
I also don't think this means I'm doing dangerously badly, since I'm still doing the PT etc., all the concrete stuff that will continue to make things better in measurable, concrete ways, and since the lack of emotional energy is comparatively limited.
Many school districts have a reform "plan," but the basic metrics for evaluating progress against the plan and reform milestones are not defined in measurable ways.
They find “no short-term measurable reduction in alumni giving as a result of abolishing legacy preferences.”
Ninety-two years on, and liberals, conservatives, and Marxists can all reckon August of 1914 as the month from which everything measurable is — to annex the title of Leonard Woolf's autobiography — downhill all the way.
Most representatives seem to want much the same thing: a staged withdrawal, starting sometime next year, based on certain measurable contingencies.
May I request that you address monetary and time diversions resulting in measurable improvements in the environment.
I would also add that all of the schools and universities I attended seemed to me to be excellent at the time and in measurable ways they are even better now.
In order to obtain measurable amounts of the final product the first steps of the synthesis would thus have to be conducted on a very large scale and the synthesis becomes very tedious.
Fragments of triumphant phrases pushed themselves through the din: Vast strategic manoeuvreperfect co-ordinationutter routhalf a million prisonerscomplete demoralizationcontrol of the whole of Africabring the war within measurable distance of its end victorygreatest victory in human historyvictory, victory, victory!