from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A mixture of hydrocarbon gases that occurs with petroleum deposits, principally methane together with varying quantities of ethane, propane, butane, and other gases, and is used as a fuel and in the manufacture of organic compounds.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a mixture of gaseous hydrocarbons associated with petroleum deposits; mostly methane with smaller amounts of ethane, propane and butane; principally used as a fuel
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. gas obtained from wells, etc., in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and elsewhere, and largely used for fuel and illuminating purposes. It is chiefly derived from the Coal Measures.
- n. The combustible gas found associated with petroleum deposits, and also in other geological formations, comprised predominantly of methane plus variable other constitutents. It is an important source of energy, and is transported long distances by pipelines, or in a liquefied state in tankers, for commercial distribution. Some natural gas deposits contain helium, and comprise the primary source of that rare element.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a fossil fuel in the gaseous state; used for cooking and heating homes
Sorry, no etymologies found.
As just one example, the lighting company Lightolier reduced its VOC emissions by 95 percent, its toxics use by 58 percent, and its electricity and natural gas use by 19 and 30 percent respectively.
And we should also tap more of our substantial natural gas reserves and work with the Canadian government to finally build the Alaska Natural Gas Pipeline, delivering clean natural gas and creating good jobs in the process.
The plant, to be located in Aceh Province between Banda Aceh and the Arun gas fields on the north of Sumatra island, would produce a range of petrochemicals from ethane, which would be extracted by Pertamina or a joint venture from the natural gas feeding a liquification plant operated by Pertamina.
We're in the process of extending our natural gas from Weaverville into Mars Hill, which will be completed this summer.
& Water, GE Energy Services and GE Oil & Gas - work together to provide integrated product and service solutions in all areas of the energy industry including coal, oil, natural gas and nuclear energy; renewable resources such as water, wind, solar and biogas; and other alternative fuels.
They called us The Gashouse Gang in those days because we tried to put a natural gas tax across and we did, which was declared unconstitutional.
The most important elements of the new policy were a 100% counterpurchase requirement for government tenders over US$775,000; a 50% penalty for noncompliance; counterpurchased goods had to be shipped to new markets rather than existing ones i.e., sending Indonesian goods to traditional customers at historic levels would not be sufficient; and petroleum and natural gas exports would not count toward countertrade.
Oil and natural gas producer EXCO Resources said Monday an incident occurred at an amine treatment facility on May 28 that killed one person and injured another.
Tisha Conoly Schuller, named president of the Colorado Oil and Gas Association in December, is taking over as the state's natural gas industry shows signs of rebounding.